"All Who Wander Are Not Lost"


Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's Been a While

It looks like it's been a long time since I last updated. (A month in fact.) Therefore, I have no idea where to start. Things have been really busy around here. Brian started up the fire season. He's working for Deschutes National Forest on an engine. It's the same forest as last year, but he's on a different type of crew. I've taken a second job at the Sunriver Marina. I worked there last summer and this year I'm working my weekends teaching kayak and stand-up paddle board classes. Right now Brian is on a fire. He's actually been on a couple in Oregon over the last five days. Right now he's in the lower Deschutes area. Let's see. Well he's been gone, I've gone up to our friend's fire lookout a couple of times, played soccer and read. I spent the fourth of July at Round Mountain Lookout with our friends Joey and Shannon. It was pretty cool because we could watch firework displays from three different towns. They happened to be the size of a quarter and you couldn't hear them, but it was still pretty cool. We then stayed up late playing the guitar and hanging out. I also went up there the weekend before for Shannon's birthday and saw the most incredible lightning storm of my life. We were even watching distant trees catch on fire before going back out. It was super cool. What else..I've joined a soccer team. The people on it are great and we're actually pretty good. We played a really aggressive team last week (aggressive by this league) and I love it. The only problem is that apparently my head is no longer caloused or something and I headed way to many soccer balls. (Bad habit) It's been tender for a week now. (Don't tell my mom.) Today I'm meeting up with friends for coffee. They were in town for a wedding. Oh yeah, and a friend of mine from school, Sara Taylor (she was in the wedding), was visiting last week and she wants to move out here. I'm so excited. She wants to move out here around Labor Day. She's a ton of fun and it would be great to have her out here, as she loves to do a lot of the same things that I do. Brian also had friends in town. Aaron Hagge (he was also in the wedding) came up here with some of his buddies to go mountain biking for a couple of days. We were able to hang out with them a fair amount while they were here. Basically, we've been super busy and neither of us have had a day off in a while, but we're loving it. I hope that all is well with everyone else. (And I'll see some of you the first weekend in August.) I'm going to our annual family camp in Traverse City, MI, for five days. I can't wait. It's always the highlight of my summer. See you soon.

No comments: