"All Who Wander Are Not Lost"


Sunday, January 25, 2009

Too Long

It's been a long time since I've updated our blog. You'd think that we'd have plenty of time since our trip, but we've been pretty busy. Brian's been kayaking with his buddy any chance he gets...I know he's crazy...there's snow on the ground. They keep asking me if I want to go, but when it's 30 some degrees outside the reply is a firm and resounding "no." I have managed to go to the kayak roll sessions at the indoor pool. It is more my style..heated water and a hot tub after the session. Brian's also been working on our cars a lot. I've been playing soccer, rock climbing (indoors) and going to yoga. On the weekends we've been trying to do fun things. The last two weekends we snowshoed into fire lookouts. It proved to be a nice little workout with packs on, climbing what any sane person from Louisiana would call a mountain. It was actually a lot of fun. We dragged sleds to the lookout and acted like kids all day creating a great sled run, which turned pretty slick after dark. Ok, I should tell you all about our trip down the Colorado River though. It was amazing. It's pretty hard to explain what it's like to spend 30 days on a river, away from civilization. Some might think it's crazy, but for Brian and I it is an incredible journey. I personally just like getting away from it all, phones, cars, the hussle and bussle of normal everyday life. In the canyon you just live. You wake up, eat, load your raft, go on a hike or two, eat, raft some more, maybe another hike, raft some more, unload all your gear, set up camp, eat again, sit around a fire and enjoy each other's company, sleep, and start it all over again. It sounds luxurious but it's a lot of work too. I really can't explain it so I'll post some photos. They might do the trip a little more justice than I'm doing it. In terms of our future plans, Brian and I are headed to the Oregon coast this weekend to hang out with friends. The coast here is actually amazing, with rock formations jutting out or simply in the ocean. It's very cool and quite different from the Atlantic and the East coast. Who know's what we'll do in February, but last weekend in Feb. we'll be flying down to Florida for one of Brian's cousins wedding. We'll see all of Brian's family which will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing our niece and nephew, as well as the rest of Brian's family. I'm also hoping to get a chance to see my grandparents in there, as my grandmother is turning 85 that weekend. (Yea.....grammy!!!). I haven't actually been to a wedding since Brian and I got married, so I'm really looking forward to it. We'll be going to a few more this year, as my cousin is getting married in Houston in April and I have two friends getting married in New Orleans this spring and summer. I haven't been home in two years, so I can't wait to head to their weddings. Two years is way to long. Actually, I haven't even been back to the South in two years. (Sad) The song "take me home, country roads" by James Taylor keeps popping into my head right now. Anyhow, it's nice to be back and we can't wait for our next big adventure!!! P.S. We have some better rapid pictures, that give a better idea of scale but our disk is being borrowed right now. I might add some more photos latter when we get that disk back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily my dear darling daugher in law.......YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!!!